[Japan 2020] A Taste of Tokyo - Monjayaki [Tsukishima]


Have you heard of Monjayaki 🍳
the traditional Japanese food that you could only find in Tokyo?




Monjayaki is a pan-fried batter hot dish similar to Okonomiyaki (which is much more popular), which I gave the nickname "Japanese pizza/pancake" XD

Although I'd describe myself as a Japanese foodaholic, I had never heard of Monjayaki before my Japanese friend introduced it to me. Knowing that I'm visiting Tokyo, she invited me to try this signature food in Tsukishima - an old town famous with a street of Monjayaki shops which is easily accessible from central Tokyo.


Source: Tokyo Cheapo


The Monja street in Tsukishima seemed a little desolate when we first arrived, perhaps because of the rain, but there are also popular shops with many customers.





Without doing any research, we chose a shop with lesser traffic (my friend said it's famous according to the signboard) on Monja street. 

It's a DIY shop where you can make your own Monjayaki! 
Since the cooking style is pretty similar, Okonomiyaki is on the menu too.

My friend likes seafood so we ordered 1 squid Monjayaki and 1 prawn Okonomiyaki, 800+ yen each. 




Since it's my first time, my friend asked the staff to cook for us 
(in case we might burn it XD) 

Take a look at my 30-sec video of how Monjayaki is made! 





It's a fun & tasty experience indeed! (*¯︶¯*)

It's rather soft and runnier comparing to Okonomiyaki, so you can't use chopstick at all! A mini spatula is used instead XD The burnt part Okuge is one of the best parts!! (Heard that it pairs well with beer, ahh T_T)

Now I know why Monjayaki is said to be similar to melted cheese,  the texture is perfect 👌





This time, we rolled our sleeves to make ourselves seafood Okonomiyaki as the second serving! The sauce and tenkasu (tempura scraps) on top are the best (^¬^)


 


Planning for your trip in Japan? 
Don't miss out on this unique & fun food experience in Tokyo! 
\(^▽^)/


🌸

~Check out my other posts about Japan~

Things to do in Tokyo

Food Review: Cafe Ron Ron in Harajuku

Kimono Rental Experience in Asakusa, Tokyo

Kimono Rental Experience in Kyoto

Udon-making Experience in Kagawa

SAKE 101: A Beginner Guide to Japanese Drinks



You Might Also Like

0 comments