[England 2019] Exchange Study life in University of Southampton

My UK Exchange Life at University of Southampton

5-month stay in Southampton from winter to spring

A city where sunshine rarely absent 🌞



(I lost the original file of the only photo that I took with Highfield library T_T)

~*~


📍 Let's explore Southampton! 📍

🏫 Campus Building

🏞️ Campus Park

🏘️ Student Hall

🛒 Shopping

🍴 Food


~*~


University of Southampton Campus


Real red brick buildings not like Poly U 

 After 5 months I still often lost my way...university app with campus map is a good thing!


🏫 Highfield Campus


The main campus where all the facilities located, including the oldest and biggest library, gift store, weekly farmer market, and a movie theatre! Yes, we have our own cinema on campus with super-cheap tickets (only £5)!


Souvenirs of my exchange life :3

🏫Avenue Campus

the home of my faculty - Humanities! Most of my subjects (3/4) were taught here. You can take a short walk from Highfield campus (15 mins) which would always make me late for class lol -_- The path is pleasant with views of greenery as you will pass by a park called Southampton Common.

🏫 Boldrewood Innovation Campus

the campus for engineering subjects, very near to my hall but I've never been inside lol.



Campus Park - Southampton Common

🏞️
A big park near campus.
Lush greenery with lots of cute doggies.
My favorite getaway in Southampton :3





Blooming daisy in the spring 🌼




On the way to the park.



Student Accommodation

🏘️
Glen Eyre Hall is where I've stayed for 5 months! 
Miss this place so much, such a peaceful & green living environment that I would never find in HK

Nice environment, close to Highfield campus (however quite far from Avenue T_T), the only downside would be the Wifi...I was staying in Brunei house, the block furthest from the entrance, while my room was the side facing the forest...



Brunei House in late-January.

This is how the cheapest room type - Non-en suite category 1 looks like when I first move in!
(well, cheapest, but 3 times my hall fees in HK)





In exchange for the inconvenience, I got this window view! 



Wessex lane


A hall area near to a fabulous riverside park!
Went jogging during the spring. Spent a peaceful evening time. :)





Shopping


For grocery shopping, Sainsbury and ASDA are the nearest/biggest supermarket.
Sainsbury is nearer to campus/hall, walkable distance.
ASDA's price is cheaper, but it's located in the city centre - 30 mins bus+walk from Glen Eyre hall.
LIDL is the cheapest but the merchandises look a bit off.

As for other necessities, Poundland is my favourite!!
Everything at 1 pound and you can literally get anything :D
It's should be your first stop while moving in!! (2nd might be IKEA)


City Centre

Feel the old town vibes while walking around the city centre that surrounded by medieval town walls.

Westquay - the biggest shopping mall with Imax cinema! Many famous brands are here including H&M, Mark & Spencer, Skechers, Lush, Pandora, etc. 

If your shopping spirit is still not satisfied...well there is a long shopping street with more fashion boutiques like Primark and Topshop, and drug stores like Boots and Superdrug.



Food

Everything is expensive... x.x
School canteen is OK...but not really want to pay for that taste lol... well not that bad it's just my preference.
80% of meals in UK are home cooking. 
Only eating out on rare occasions :P

Beginner cooking starter pack like...XD




Restaurant in Southampton

My first eating out experience is actually IKEA Restaurant XD



Label food 車仔檔 - the best Hong Kong food in Southampton...?
Price and taste are ok, fulfilled our cravings for HK food :P




Banana Wharf Ocean Village - a classy restaurant at harbour :D 
The ambiance was super nice, marina view outside was perfect too.
Ordered 2 sets of food but 3 of us couldn't finish it... 
The staff kindly packed them nicely for us to takeaway :D


The harbour view :D


Takeaway

Seven Seas Fish and Chips - Heard that this is the best & cheapest Fish & Chip takeaway in Southampton. The owner is from Hong Kong, so we ordered in Cantonese hahaha XD £4 for the cheapest set, big portion & decent taste.



Dessert

Fell in love with Gelatooooo in Europe starting from Sprinkle <3



Scoops, another gelato shop but I like their waffle and crepe more!


You Might Also Like

0 comments