[England 2019] Things to do in London


I still remember the excitement when I first got down from bus in Victoria Station - the moment I looked up at the blue sky and ivory building blocks, red double-decker bus and black cabs running on the road... 

ah it felt so surreal...





During my 5-month exchange trip in the UK, I've been to the capital London around 6-7 times~ It took me 2 hours & £20 (the cheapest) from Southampton, but it's so charming so I went back once and again...

Known as gloomy and grimy (this impression is probably from my childhood reading <Oliver Twist>), surprisingly the city was mostly in sunny weather during my visit! 
\(^▽^)/

I especially love the victorian buildings that give a hint of the country's glorious past - it made London look elegantly beautiful and powerful at the same time.


View from the double-decker bus!

I was so sad on the last day I left London...TT 
this city really has a special place in my heart 💙

(fan girl moment: btw UK is my favourite character in APH so it's like a dream came true!!!!)


︵‿︵‿︵*¨*•.¸¸🌹¸¸.*¨*︵‿︵‿︵


Here are some fun activities to do in London!
Reminiscing those memories made me feel so nostalgic...(ಥ﹏ಥ)


1. Visit the London Bridge that isn't falling down :3

London bridge actually refers to every bridge crossing River Thame in London and the prettiest one would be Tower Bridge!

Nice weather :D

It was almost sunset. (4~5pm sunset in the winter huh)

Me with aunty hairstyle when the wind came (ノД`)ヽ

Miss my time with Yuhong~~ 💙

A massive riverside office block.

I remember myself saying "I hope I can be a successful businesswoman who works in this kind of cool building." Enter this building with high heels clacking and my takeaway black coffee -  my little fantasy XD




Photo of Tower Bridge on another day, from another angle.




︵‿︵‿︵*¨*•.¸¸🌹¸¸.*¨*︵‿︵‿︵


2. Take a photo in the popular, instagramable attractions in London


🎡 1st spot: London Eye

The famous city landmark, an observation wheel on the bank of River Thames. You could pay for a ride too if you are rich enough :P




⛪ 2nd spot: Westminister Abbey

A popular religious attraction - Gothic-style abbey church.
You'll always pass by it on your way to River Thames. 




🕙 3rd spot: Big Ben

The old grand clock tower.
......It was under construction when I was there (」°ロ°)」


I'm too lazy angry to find a photo of it in original form...
just a golden clock tower, nothing special at all!!! >:(


🏰 4th spot: Tower of London

The imposing riverside castle, a world heritage site.



︵‿︵‿︵*¨*•.¸¸🌹¸¸.*¨*︵‿︵‿︵


3. Watch a classic musical theatre show 
- Immerse yourself in the British theatre culture


There is no theatre culture in my country so I always wanted to try during my stay in the UK. The popular shows include The Lion King, Mamma Mia, Les Miserable, .......but my heart's already set on the classic literature I've read a long time ago-- 


in Her Majesty Theatre

The original story was set in Palais Garnier in Paris, which was unfortunately closed when I was there...TT  Anyway, at least I got the opportunity to watch a live theatre show in London with a low-priced ticket - £30!

Before the show - the splendorous grand theatre!
Happy me with my cheap ticket :D

(Amateur) Review:
It's a really emotional and heartbreaking story and the stage performance was truly brilliant. The actor/actress sang beautifully along with the live orchestra. A little drawback for non-English speakers - sometimes it's hard to listen clearly... it's without subtitle + classic literature after all.


My insta story after the show :'(

Check out the official trailer:



in Palace Theatre, London


I envy those people who watched it...T_T
3-month onward cheap tickets were all sold out when I searched for it...

Anyways... If you are lucky enough, here are tips to get cheap tickets:
1. Refresh the site daily to see if anyone canceled their booking
2. The Friday Forty (Something like a lottery)


Also, I wanna recommend something I've always wanted to try but eventually didn't...
Immersive Theatre Show

Mama Mia The Party
(Source: Internet)

Heard a lot of good reviews of it - compare to a traditional theatre show, you would not be sitting still in the audience seat but become a part of the show -- the handsome prince might hold your hand and start dancing, or the mysterious lady will grab your hand and bring you to discover a secret.

Sleep no more
(Source: Internet)

You can choose to follow whichever actor/actress who you think will lead to an interesting story - yes, that's mean you gain freedom in choosing which part of the story you want to see, while you might lose a few pieces of the puzzle based on the decision you made - that's why it's so unique and intriguing!

Well...not every show is that interactive...but for sure, immersive theatre guarantees you a closer observation of the performers (instead of a faraway stage) so that you can enjoy the play thoroughly!


The Great Gatsby
(Source: Internet)

Ahh... can someone try it and tell me your experience!!! 
。゚・ (>﹏<) ・゚。


︵‿︵‿︵*¨*•.¸¸🌹¸¸.*¨*︵‿︵‿︵


4. Watch the daily changing-of-guards parade in front of the Buckingham Palace

Another free & must-do activity in London!
Only 20-min walk from Victoria station so it could be your first stop in London if you're coming by train/bus. Tbh it was too packed... I don't like squeezing in crowd >_<


The thing I liked the most was the police riding on a horse...so cool & cute!!! People were petting the police horse hahaha too bad I didn't take a photo...>_<

Here's a short clip of the parade:



Visited the second time during non-parade hours. 
The Queen's Guard looks a bit lonely now... *stare silently*

  


︵‿︵‿︵*¨*•.¸¸🌹¸¸.*¨*︵‿︵‿︵


5. Explore the lively marketplaces & fill your belly with assorted street foods


(1) Borough Market

The most accessible market in London, just located across the London Bridge. It's really like a pasara farmer market with mostly food products lol. 




Laksa!!! The taste is super authentic & good (^q^)
£7 per plate - normal price for street food.


(2) Camden Market

FYI Camden Market is super big, take your time to explore the whole area :D
A quirky market perfect for treasure-hunting with a beautiful canal.



The market hall interior is pretty too.



Outdoor eating area. 
So many street foods to stuff yourself, yum yum! 🥡



CyberdogThe must-visit funky shop for hipsters!!
So many strange & fun stuff to see and play with, haha.
Also, there were two staff doing pole dance at the entrance, very cool!



Lastly, take a selfie at the donut wall :P
The market tour is so much fun, also because of this crazy girl with me lol



(3) Convent Garden

Floral decoration's everywhere in the spring blossom 🌸




Explore the aesthetically decorated shopping avenue.

There was a band busking, so entertaining :D


Being lured by the aroma... the evil Ben Cookies!!
Don't ever search for the calories...

 



Benjamin Pollock's Toyshop
Some retro-style vintage fun toys that bring nostalgic feeling :3

A secret rainbow garden within the garden - Neal’s Yard

A very instagrammable site indeed!




︵‿︵‿︵*¨*•.¸¸🌹¸¸.*¨*︵‿︵‿︵



6. Enter the magical world of Harry Potter 
- HP theme day trip in London 🔮


If you are lucky to get a ticket, visit the Warner Bros. Studio Tour London!!

Walkthrough the cool movie sets and discover those unrevealed secrets and details of the movie-making.

Can you imagine some of the Hogwarts scenes were actually taken in this miniature model with the help of CG?!?! Bloody wicked! (⊙_⊙)

I really love this scene in the book!
Harry smiled quietly while seeing the family panicked and frantically screaming,
secretly feeling ecstatic and curious about Hogwarts at the same time (*¯︶¯*)
Ahh isn't my letter a bit late now...I'M STILL WAITING FOR IT COMING!! NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!

There are quite a few fun photo spots!

Hogwarts Express!
Can go inside and see the compartment where Harry first met Ron and Hermione,
and swept everything on the food trolley like a badass XD

Cheers in Hagrid's hut! *clink* 🍻

Finally got to try the butterbeer I've been craving for so long!!



Besides the "theme park", there are many free-to-visit HP sites around London too!

Platform 9 3/4 in King's Cross Train Station is where you can push the famous trolley on your way to Hogwarts, take a photo with your chosen house scarf and props for free!

The staff was holding the scarf for me XD

The Harry Potter Shop, the official merchandise store is adjacent to the trolley.
I bought a postcard here, for a friend who also deeply in love with HP :D

Cute fluffy Hedwig :D

Charing Cross Road 
Heard that The Leaky Cauldron, the gateway between the non-wizarding world and Diagon Alley, is just somewhere in the corner...






Check out this link for more Harry Potter locations & my HP theme day trip in London!

(👷~~In construction~~🚧)


︵‿︵‿︵*¨*•.¸¸🌹¸¸.*¨*︵‿︵‿︵


[To be continued]


You Might Also Like

0 comments