[Japan 2020] Kimono rental experience in Tokyo [Vasara]


Asakusa is the most popular site for kimono rental in Tokyo, as it's one of the few accessible places that reserve the old town vibe in the modern metropolis - a perfect photoshoot backdrop for Japanese traditional Kimono! 👘⛩️



Kimono Rental Shop: VASARA Asakusa Senso-ji Shop

 One of the cheapest price

 Different kimono rental plans are available
(standard, premium, couple, hakama, furisode, etc)

☑ Kimono options are available to browse on website

(kimono's colour & pattern matter a lot to me!!)

 Staffs speak English/Mandarin well & very friendly

 Hassle-free online payment

 Superb location 
(walking distance to Senso-ji & other attractions in Asakusa)






Reasons to choose VASARA Rental Shop


1. VASARA might not be the cheapest, but the price for the standard plan is quite budget (¥2,900).

*I'll recommend Asakusa Rental Kimono Koto if you're seeking for the cheapest price (¥1800) but its kimono styles were not the kind I was looking for.




2. VASARA has a kimono catalog on its website, which you can browse through the kimono options for different plans. You could even search according to colour (which is convenient for those who want only specific colour 💙) Although you can't make reservation for the kimono, at least it gives you a bit of an idea on what you can choose from.





3. VASARA has 4 shops in Asakusa. I prefer arriving at the earliest time so there will be more kimono options to choose on-site. Every shop opens at 9AM, I chose the earliest timeslot at the Senso-ji shop when I found out the 9AM timeslot at the main shop was full.






Tips before & after wearing a kimono!


1. Go to the toilet before changing!! 

There's a clean toilet just near to the changing room. I didn't even try to use the toilet after wearing kimono because I knew how troublesome would it be to put it back after the staff lady wrapped me in layer and layer...

2. Avoid eating something that high possibility to stain the kimono

E.g. soup noodle. I did eat a bowl of soba but I was very careful with it. You might get fined if you soil the kimono.

3. Don't hold your belly in while the staff is helping you dress up.
It wouldn't make you look slimmer but only make you feel uncomfortable.
The kimono includes various layers so it will make you look slightly "bigger" no matter how. 

4. Ask the staff for "Osusume" (recommendation)

for anything to match with your kimono like the obi (sash) if you need advice.

5. Don't choose the smallest bag,
as you might need to keep souvenirs that you buy later on.

6. Wear an inner shirt & leggings under the kimono during winter. 

Haori (jacket) is optional at 500 yen which is useful for windy weather. I was wearing a short sleeve Uniqlo heat-tech shirt and Primark legging inside + a piece of haori outside. With those, I felt comfortably warm in 6~10 Celcius temperature outdoor.


Kimono Dressing-up Experience 👘


I arrived at the shop slightly later, around 9:15AM, but there was no problem at all. A very quick check-in procedure (filling in a form) and we were asked to go to the changing room upstairs. I was given a big plastic bag to carry my shoes and other belongings. Later I would need to store my clothes inside after changing.


There were quite a few racks with different kimonos for different plans, and other accessories such as haori (jacket) and obi (sash). 


I was a bit lost while being exposed to so many beautiful kimono...

Although the choice of upgrading to premium plan was tempting (the kimonos' quality was higher and patterns were fancier), the options for the standard plan were actually decent so I've stuck to my original plan.


I found my favourite blue kimono...!

The staff were all very kind and helpful! A Taiwanese lady who could speak fluent Japanese, English and Mandarin was kind enough to explain everything including minor details to me patiently. Other Japanese staffs were also very attentive to my needs, e.g. came to help when seeing me struggling with something.

There were some additional chargeable options you could choose from. For example, haori, shawl, tabi (sock) with fleece inside are available at 500 yen during winter to protect you from the cold. 


While choosing obi and haori I've been facing dilemmas, thanks to the staff's rescue I could finally make it to the fitting room. Staff would help with the fitting, from the undergarment all the way to the obi. Kimono fitting took around 15 minutes.


Then, for the hairstyling, I could choose from the two hair courses included in standard plan - a hair bun style or simple one-side braiding, which I chose the latter. The staff also helped me to fix my frizzy hair with the straightener and put on a pink flower hair accessories that match my kimono.

At the end of the kimono fitting, I could choose a bag and a pair of traditional Japanese sandals. The staff advised me to choose the basket kind of bag as the capacity is bigger, and it wouldn't be out of shape with heavy loads. As for the shoes, they were all free-sized but I found some were tighter at the straps, so choose the one you are comfortable wearing it!

TA-DA! I'm ready to go!!! ヽ(・∀・)ノ





The whole kimono choosing + fitting took around 40 - 60 minutes (well it depends, I was not rushing at that time) so plan your time well!


[Photo Spots in Asakusa]

Here are some good places to take photos in Asakusa!

Sensoji

Sensoji, of course, our first stop as it just 5 mins walk away from the shop!
However it was soooooo crowded during the Oshogatsu (Japanese New Year) so there weren't many good photos, but normal days it should be the perfect photo spot!




Having amazake, a Japanese traditional rice drinkIt tasted like barley drink from Malaysia...!


On a bridge in the garden area. 


Nishi-sandō Shopping Street



Of course, the popular Nakamise Shopping Street would have more things to see, but this place is better for taking photos as the crowd is lesser while the covered street would be nice in terrible weather!


The pinwheel wall at the street entrance
The famous melon bun...! Still try even though knowing it's a tourist trap coz we were hangry!!


Marumoto Nippon




A shopping mall that we stopped for toilet and resting :D
The observatory area on the 4th floor offers a good view of the Sensoji pagoda & sky tree.





Random alley

Just wander around and discover a new spot!







Sumida River

Sunset was early in the winter, around 4:30 pm, so better quick to take more photos before the sky turns dark! Sumida River is one of the best places to catch the sunset.


Gorgeous sunset isn't it


Without Haori can show more of the body curve.




But I couldn't stand the wind without it... the weather got colder during sunset ><






I like the bridge, coz it's blueee

Outside the shop


It was already dark around 5pm when we were going back to return the kimono.


Taken at the playground area outside the shop. There were warmly-lit lanterns as a beautiful backdrop.



Staircase to a little shrine. Was trying to hide my double chin.
So sad to say goodbye to my beautiful gown...T T


~Some random funny scenes~



Unicorn!


Golden chili


Dragonball


Shop information:

【VASARA

Official Website:

Price:
Standard Plan:2,900 yen
Haori:500 yen
Total3,400 yen (exclude tax)
(around 250 HKD / RM 130)

Senso-ji Shop

Opening hours: 
9:00 - 22:00

Kimono Return Time:

17:30 (without additional fees)

Phone:
03-5577-5882

Address:
2 Chome-1-3 Asakusa, Taito City, Tokyo 111-0032








🌸
~Check out my other posts on Japan Travel~

Things to do in Tokyo

https://travellingwithjustechoo.blogspot.com/2020/03/japan-2020-things-to-do-in-tokyo-japan.html

Food Review: Cafe Ron Ron in Harajuku
https://travellingwithjustechoo.blogspot.com/2020/02/japan-2020-cafe-ron-ron-review-all-you.html

Food Review: Monjayaki in Tsukishima
https://travellingwithjustechoo.blogspot.com/2020/04/japan-2020-taste-of-tokyo-monjayaki.html

Kimono Rental Experience in Kyoto

Udon-making Experience in Kagawa
https://travellingwithjustechoo.blogspot.com/2020/02/japan-2020-udon-making-experience-in.html

SAKE 101: A Beginner Guide to Japanese Drinks
https://travellingwithjustechoo.blogspot.com/2020/04/japan-2020-beginner-guide-to-japanese.html






You Might Also Like

0 comments