[Switzerland 2019] Grindelwald [Day 1]

Grindelwald is one of the 2 places I would describe as heaven on earth


It's not easy getting to Grindelwald from Zurich (or Winterthur) without driving, as it would be a long train journey (3 hrs). But this was not the main reason that kept me hesitating... you can pretty sure what is it if you know me well...of course it's the money :/ 

Everything in Swiss is so fxxking expensive and especially the transportation fees! However, eventually I still decided to visit this far far away, dreamy little town - and thanks god I did or not I would definitely regret it...!

Although the weather was really bad when we were there (raining almost the whole day), it didn't really affect the beauty and how much I appreciate it. But I'm pretty sure that Grindelwald would be much prettier and enjoyable when the weather gets better!

Ahh...looking at those pictures makes me really want to go back... In fact, these photos do not do them justice at all! It felt so different seeing them through eyes... Sometimes I really hope that I could be a better photographer and with a better camera >:(

[Day 1]

We took the train from Winterthur to Grindelwald! (Because I was staying in my beloved friend Red's student hall <3) 

Remember to book a train ticket in advance to grab the discounted one - Supersaver Ticket! It's only 35 CHF (278 HKD) for a single trip! Yes, it's considered cheap :)
I booked mine 2 weeks earlier, not sure if it will be sold out fast.
You can book through the official website: https://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/pages/fahrplan/fahrplan.xhtml
And remember to scroll down for the "Supersaver ticket" option~


The trip has already started once you got on a train with such a scenic view!


The table at our seats is pretty cute! 
We didn't visit the Jungfraujoch (the most famous peak in Swiss?) though because it would cost too much time & money... FYR, it's 190 CHF (1510 HKD) just for the train from Grindelwald :)


And after 2 changes, finally, FINALLY!! This popped out into my view!! It's like the fairy-tales I used to read in my childhood came out in real life...!! Ahh look at the mountain behind those tiny little wooden cottages...


This is the first thing I saw once I got off the train. 
I got really really excited about it lol~ the annoying rain did not damp down my excitement!!


Grindelwald station. The only train station in this town connected with the world outside. Surrounded by different kinds of shops so you can basically get everything you need here.


The only supermarket here! A place that everyone would stock up for their meal (ignore this if you are rich :D)


We opened Google map to find the way to our hostel...and it brought us to a very steep and narrow trail, way down to the hill... Had to be very careful because it was narrow and slippery due to the rain, but how could I not taking photos of these lovely views...!


The view got blocked by the mist, but it was still so stunning...♡




There were trains that stop in different areas of Grindelwald. 
But since the tickets are expensive...nah~


After around 20 mins we arrived at our hostel. It's called Mountain Hostel - Swiss Hostel.
The price was reasonable, CHF 53.35/2 people for one night. (approx HKD 424)
Private room, shared bathroom, open-air kitchen, free breakfast.
Mainly self-service. Location is nice, there's a bus stop right outside the hostel, and the accommodation comes with a complimentary bus pass.
Will recommend to any budget traveler like us! :D  

After putting our luggage in the coin locker (it's free as you can get back the coin later). Our plan for today is to wander around the town, because for the cable car up to First mountain we need to get the tourist card (free bus and discount for cable car) but check in time is at 3pm. 

Took this photo somewhere near my hostel. 
Triangle rooftops are so cute!


We just simply picked a walking trail and keep walking haha. The rain didn't stop but we didn't want to stop too! Luckily I had my trench coat...it's really my best companion throughout my exchange trip lol~ The weather was too unpredictable everywhere in Europe!!




Too creative hahaha


I couldn't stop telling my friend I felt like we were in the world of Princess of Mononoke..


We met noone while walking so it was so peaceful... I guess it's because of the rain?




Supposed to be the meltwater from the glacier.
It was yellowish because of the rain I guess.

 


And suddenly a dog popped out from behind and surpassed us!
So we followed his butt and wondering where was it's owner...
Maybe it lives on its own? (which is so cool?!) 
But later its owner showed up hahaha~ 
The dog was too energetic so the old lady couldn't keep up with its pace lol~


Someone built this in the middle of the trail!
It looked so comfy but maybe not in this weather haha~


 End of this trail (I really don't remember the name...)
It was so pretty up here...



This building is a restaurant and souvenir shop. You can pay to visit a mine museum (?).
Which we didn't, coz we never paid for extra stuff! :P



And then we walk back to our hostel from another side.
This time we encountered the locals walking their doggies :D


We also passed by a herd of cows with ringing bells~
Ah but I forgot to take photos but only video of their unstop ringing annoying belles haha.


I bet it feels good to stay in one of these RVs.


The box of palmier from the supermarket turned out to be suuuuuper delicious! Addicted to it and finished the whole box in just one day hahaha... 


Ahh... I really, really miss the time walking down this path.
Nothing to worry, just relax and talk shit. :)


I discovered this hotel on the way back.
I decided to take a photo to remind myself...
THIS IS WHERE I'LL STAY NEXT TIME WHEN I COME BACK AS A BILLIONAIRE!!!!


This was what I spotted and got really envy... 
A swimming pool at the balcony!!
There was someone enjoying the warm, steamy swimming tub...in this cold and wet weather...! Such a luxurious enjoyment.....!



(Pictures from Booking.com)


For my future husband, this is for your reference... :)


The mountain railway~
Reminds me of Alishan's forest railway hehe, also a sweet memory :D


Ahh... the sky was fully overcast...couldn't see the Mcflurry anymore :(


Finally back to our hostel and checked in!
Our room is clean and cozy! Spacious enough to put luggage and walk around freely! (Scared of HK's budget hotel lol) Have to put on the bedsheet on your own (which I did it really messy haha)
The window view was a construction site :(
Also, constantly you will be harassed by the cows' ringing bell XD
But everything is good apart from that haha~


Gute nacht~ zZz

Link to [Part 2]

You Might Also Like

0 comments