[Italy 2019] 1 Day Trip in Venice



1 Day Trip in Venice, Italy


When I think back on my Europe trip, Venice always has a special place in my heart. It's so beautiful that it can override all other negative factors that will affect my impression of a touristic spot. I mean, the floating city was notorious for its over-tourism, and I was always annoyed by places cramped with tourists

Maybe I was really lucky enough to have my friend Cloud, who has been here several times and therefore became a pro in exploring the best parts of Venice, and Yun who is a knowledgable history lover and tourism student that would tell us interesting stories of the ancient city. For me, the company of friends has always been an important factor to have a memorable trip :D

I haven't watched ARIA yet (slice of life anime about gondoliers) until one year after, which brought me the nostalgia that I'm actually surprised about how much I miss the place. Such a beautiful place, and so much to explore if I do more research, know more about the history of each corner......why didn't I realize that before I left!! I was not in a good mood at that time, cried in the middle of the trip, but eventually healed by just looking at the peaceful sea view in Burano Island.

This city with many names, "City of Water", "City of Bridges", "City of Mask" (derived from the masquerade carnival) is absolutely a charming place that will leave me yearning even after 2 years apart... Water has always been the source of life, so isn't it so romantic to be surrounded by it, wholly dependent on it, which has been a way of living carried on for hundred if not thousand years,  attracting tourists around the world for maybe longer time than any places - the beauty and fame that lasted for centuries which definitely not a result from globalization or overmarketing.

~*~

We stayed in the Airbnb on the mainland for a night, then took an early bus to Venice island at 6am, to avoid the crowd (highly recommended!!!) 

My first water bus experience started at daybreak. Seeing the lights of dawn and golden lamps slowly lighted up the city was truly magical.



Ponte di Rialto
Rialto Bridge, one of the oldest bridge in Venice.






A rare scene of the crowd-free St. Mark's Square






Parking lot (dock) of boats, the most common (maybe the only one if you want to travel far) transportation in this floating city. The creamy pinkish sky made the place even more dreamy.



Oh dear... you have no idea how much fat I've gained during my easter trip...I blame the food for being too tasty.



"City of Bridges"
Little sky bridges that connected buildings above small waterways.

The right one is the famous Ponte dei Sospiri - Bridge of Sighs, as the prisoners were well aware of their fate while leaving to the interrogation room from the prison.
 


On the bridge.




The tilted walls, narrowing back alley in Venice! 



How good will it feel, find an empty alley facing the canal, sit down and relax while observing people and boats passing by? It's not that easy to do that in a city bustling with tourists though...that's why the morning hour is perfect!



The St Mark's Basilica Cathedral Church.

Our fun was partly taken away when people swarm in...:(


Pigeons are everywhere...dominating the touristic plaza everywhere...



I didn't know it was a famous one until I watched Aria...
Caffè Florian, since 1720, is the oldest cafe in the world.
It caught my eyes...or rather my ears when there was a band playing music.


I recognized it when I first saw it in Aria! Made we want to go back so badly...well, I might be too broke to buy a coffee there anyway :P



Passed by the Disney shop in Venice.
Gondolier & Pizza Chef Mickey and arts on the brick wall!

 


 


Lunch time! 
The cheapest food we could get is...PIZZA takeaway!!


 


Me enjoying the food as usual.
Not sure if this ciabatta...


It's fun to do DIY pizza and this is what you'll get if you really really want fries on your pizza :D


Pesto pasta!


And Gelato of course...
Found guilty of making me fat in Europe!!!



We found a corner to enjoy both the meals and views.




An old worn out pink building. 



Found a hidden spot to chill with good views.






2nd time taking the water bus, departing to our next stop!




Murano and Burano - two of the most famous, picturesque islands in Venice. The only way I could differentiate between these two similar-naming and rainbow-coloured islands is to remember what did I see there - is it glass or lace?

Murano is famous for its exquisite glass-making tradition, where I bought my glass earrings, while Burano the place I enjoyed the sunset is filled with shops selling white flowery lace.


Our first stop is Murano, the glass-making island.



Fell into a wonderland of the jewel-like glass ornaments.
A gorgeous place to do window shopping!

 


Here's my harvest, earrings for myself and family.
Still wearing it till today :D



Took a stroll down the street in this antique, colorful fishing village.




Our next and last stop - Burano Island, known for the hand-crafted lace. The colour here is vibrant and brighter therefore seems more artistic and lively comparing to Murano's.



Clothing stores were commonly seen here because of their lace production.


Tired of the whole-day exploring on foot... got some local snacks and coffee.


Gelato...of course.




"Busallo" the local traditional cookies.



The brightly painted houses on Burano island are part of the tourist attraction. 

As a town that's known for its artistic vibes while its economy is highly dependent on tourism, it's no surprise that the colour tone of houses is actually under regulation - each lot has a permitted hue issued by the government if the residents wish to paint their home.

I guess the residents here are also quite aware of how beautiful their houses are...their effort in decoration has really made the area become super instagramable!






Me was quite emo at that moment...but somehow, I was eventually cheered up by the lovely views and people with me.



Sunset...the fading golden rays that slowly mixed with the ocean blue have gently touched my heart, calming down the restless monster inside me.




Glad to be here with them :)

 


End this post with my favourite groups of photo :D 
>>>




You Might Also Like

0 comments